The Joe Humble Award
The Joe Humble Newsletter Editor of the Year Award was initiated by the ABANA Board of Directors in 1994 to give recognition to the workers who publish the affiliate newsletters. It was named in honor of the first affiliate newsletter editor who published a monthly edition for over 14 years. Joe was on the ABANA Board, served as president and established the first affiliate. The submissions are by past and prsent editors and the selection committee is made up of former Humble Award winners and Affiliate Editor volunteers, so the winner is selected by his/her peers. Many of the editors exchange newsletters with other affiliates so they know what all the other editors are publishing.
Guidelines For The Joe Humble Newsletter Editor Of The Year Award (New Procedures Established in 2012)
Nominations must be submitted to the ABANA Central Office () All nominations need to be accompanied by a single newsletter edition that you believe reflects the Editors best work since the last award. That newsletter sample must be in PDF format for it to be distributed to the committee and reviewed. All nominations must be by a past or present Editor. Nominations made by other than a past or present Editor will not be considered.
It does not matter if the edition is a monthly, bi-monthly or quarterly edition. Please submit only one. Below are the committee procedures that spell out the JH Award process.
- All nominations need to be submitted to the Central Office.
- The Central Office will provide a list of current Editors and verify the names of Editors that are nominated who have served since Jan 2013 but who have stepped down prior to the list being provided. Committee Members will verify that only one nomination per Editor has been submitted. Past Editors that are nominating an Editor and are unknown to both the Committee and Central Office will be accepted on a provisional basis until verified. If unable to verify via the ABANA Affiliate that nomination will be rejected.
- Committee Members made up of at least three former Humble Award Winners and Afiliate Editor volunteers if needed, will select a chair and then evaluate and score the nominations and will then meet (via Conference Call) to determine the Awardee.
- After notifying the ABANA President of the results, ABANA will make the necessary arrangements to make the official announcements and presentation of the award. The Committee will assist with the arrangements for presentation of he award.
- Here are the Evalutaion criteria used by the committee to select a winner:
Joe Humble Newsletter Editor of the Year Award for the 2014
This year’s committee members are:
Julie Pickett – 2002 Awardee, Rocky Mountain Smiths, CO
Bill Clemens- 2006 Awardee, Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland, MD
Chris Holt – 2102 Awardee, Pittsburgh Area Artist Blacksmith Association, PA
Nominations must be submitted to the ABANA Central Office () by 5PM on July 25th 2014.
All nominations need to be accompanied by a single newsletter edition that you believe reflects the Editors best work from January 2013 to May 2014.
Joe Humble Award Winners
|1996||Gene and Peg Chapman||Washington|
|1997||Kim Harris||North Carolina|
|2004||Dave Smucker||North Carolina|
|2006||Bill Clemens||Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland Hammer and Tong|
|2012||Chris Holt||Pittsburgh Area Artist Blacksmith Association Newsletter|
Chris Holt, PAABA Newsletter Editor, Receiving the 2012 Humble Award from Bill Clemens, ABANA Secretary and 2006 Humble Award Winner